What you need to know about submitting to ASIM
Although we’re based in Australia, we welcome submissions from all countries. We submit every issue to reviewers at Locus, SF Crowsnest, Tangent and more, and also to several Year’s Best anthologies. This means that getting published in ASIM does not mean your fiction will only be seen by a handful of wallabies in outback Australia!
- Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine buys First Australian Serial Rights and limited electronic rights.
- ASIM is a magazine available in both physical, eBook and PDF formats. Contracts ask for limited electronic rights, as well as first Australian print rights. We offer the electronic version in parallel with the print version.
You can resell your work in any form after you’ve sold it to us. However, we ask you to agree to not making it available electronically (eg, online or as part of an eBook) for 3 months or until the next issue of ASIM is released (whichever comes first).
- We accept science fiction, fantasy and supernatural horror works up to 10,000 words in length.
- We do not accept any submissions where the work is currently available, for free or purchase, in any form elsewhere, whether in print, online, or as a podcast. Given that, reprint submissions are highly unlikely to be accepted.
- Submissions of up to 20,000 words are permitted from subscribers and from authors resident in Australia and New Zealand. (It costs a fortune for Aus & NZ authors to post a story that length to overseas markets—that’s why we bend the guidelines for them.)
- We do not accept serialised submissions, so please don’t ask.
- Andromeda Spaceways is intended for a wide audience, so we don’t want anything more than M rated: no gratuitous sex or graphic violence. We want the overall tone of ASIM to be light as opposed to the dark-and-gritty style that characterises so many other SF mags this day and age. This does not mean we only publish light humour pieces, though. Our readers are just as keen on traditional fantasy and hard science fiction. We’re just not the best market for doom-laden go-nowhere stories that push the boundaries of the English language into new and unfortunate places.
- Given an otherwise even choice between angst and adventure, we’ll grab the adventure.
- Any style under two pages, though must be speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy or supernatural horror).
- Non-fiction articles will be considered on anything vaguely related to speculative fiction.
- We’re after articles on the speculative genres and their writers, weird science, real science, weird history, straight history, con reports, fads and geekdom… anything.
- We’re somewhat less interested in articles about how to write—we’re going for broad interest, and there are other publications for those.
- ASIM uses black and white internal and colour cover artwork. If you’re interested in supplying artwork, please contact our Art Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Although we understand it’s easier for you to send us a link to your web site, we just don’t have the time to look at it. Please send a sample of your work that you feel best reflects your style, that we can then put into a special on-line ‘gallery’ where our editors look when they’re choosing artists.
Each editor has different needs, and your work might be just the style that one of them wants. Putting it in our gallery means they can see immediately what your style is like, without having to trawl through a heap of web sites—and it means you don’t have to keep reminding us that you exist! We commission new work, so if you want to sell your samples elsewhere, feel free.
Please note, the gallery is password-protected and only available to editors, so your art is safe. We can’t send you a link, but trust us—the entry only says who you are and what you’re prepared to do for ASIM.
Choose a sample—a painting, if you’re interested in producing cover art, and/or a black and white piece, if you’re keen to do internal art. Samples of your work can be sent as scanned images at screen resolution (96dpi, no more than 300kb per image, please).
What We Pay
Short Fiction: 1.25 cents/Word (AUD) with a A$20 minimum per piece.
Poetry, and Flash Fiction (under 1000 words): A$10 per piece.
Non-fiction: A$10 for articles of 1000 words or greater.
Artwork: We pay A$100 per cover and A$20 per internal piece.
Every contributor also receives an eBook copy of the issue in which their item appears, whether that’s fiction, non-fiction, artwork or poetry.